- If you have Windows Vista, also see KB842.
- We recommend that you uninstall and reinstall Version 3 of PC Study Bible per the following instructions.
These uninstall instructions do *more* than the “Add or Remove Programs” tool on the Control Panel.
- If you are running an anti-virus program, such as Norton, you must disable this when installing our product or any updates. This is very important.
To determine how to disable your anti-virus, it is best to see your anti-virus program documentation or contact the vendor which made that program.
Usually, if your anti-virus program is running, it will display a little icon next to where the time (digital clock) is displayed in your Windows Start bar. Usually this is found at the lower right-hand corner of your screen. Put your cursor over (but don't click) each icon next to the clock; the icon will display a little message saying what it is. When you see your anti-virus program name mentioned (Norton and McAfee are common ones), right-click on that icon and left-click the option to close or exit or disable the anti-virus program. Often the icon will disappear or change in appearance when you have successfully disabled it.
If this is an install to a new machine, i.e. to a machine that didn't have PC Study Bible before, skip to Step 6.
- Note: If you have Personal Study Notes you would like to save, you need to back them up first, otherwise skip to Step 5.
Q: How do I determine the name(s) of the file(s) to back up?
A: Your Personal Study Notes are saved in the folder titled "RefWorks". This folder is usually located in C:\Program Files\Biblesoft\PC Study Bible 3.0. There may be two files associated with each Study Note or there may only be one. The file extensions are “J4L” or “JDR”. "My Personal Notes" is the title in the menu for PC Study Bible's default study note set, and the file name is "DEFAULT" in the RefWorks folder, i.e. "DEFAULT.J4L" or "DEFAULT.JDR".
Any other note set you created will be stored in files named by whatever "Short Name" you assigned it at the time of creation. To determine that Short Name, start PC Study Bible and open that note set. In the row of buttons across the bottom of the screen, click on the copyright symbol (the letter "c" in a circle). On the resulting dialog, click on the General tab. Halfway down the screen you can read the File Name.
Once you have determined the names of your Personal Study Note files, copy those files to a floppy or CD or to a folder outside of the Biblesoft folder.
- Uninstall per the instructions in KB_1053.
- Place your highest versioned Reference Library CD in your drive, and reinstall the program. For example, if you have a Complete Reference Library 3.0B and a Complete Reference Library 3.3A, use the Complete Reference Library 3.3A.
- Start PC Study Bible before installing any other discs, look up a verse, then shut down PC Study Bible. If you have Windows Vista and you encounter problems as you try to open your PC Study Bible, see the Vista compatibility article.
- If you have any PC Study Bible add-on CDs,
make sure your anti-virus software is disabled,
install *one* CD, then
run PC Study Bible, look up a verse, then close PC Study Bible.
- Repeat Step 8 for each of the rest of your add-on CDs.
- Enable your virus protection software, if you disabled it at the start of this process.
- If you saved Personal Study Notes at Step 4, copy them from your backup location/disc into the RefWorks folder (this is the same folder name where you found them in Step 4). If you get a warning that a file already exists, answer Yes to the "replace existing file?" question.
- You are finished.